Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Introduction

Hello new readers, 

I want to thank all of you for reading my blog. I know that researching law schools and deciding where to apply and enroll can be super stressful, so I hope my posts can help you in your decision. It’s been a while since I’ve written a post for ya’ll, so let me quickly reintroduce myself first. 

My name is Ashli, and I am a 2L Day student. I am originally from a small town in Central Texas, but after high school I moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area to go to the University of North Texas. I graduated in May 2021 as a first-generation college student and the first woman in my family to earn a Bachelor’s degree. 

When I came to law school, I intended on practicing International Human Rights Law, but if there’s one piece of advice I could share with you, it would be that law school will change you. Before, I thought the last thing I wanted to do was be a trial lawyer. To be honest, the idea of getting in front of an actual judge in an actual courtroom made me physically ill. Now though, I’ve fallen in love with public defense and being in court. I’m in the Juvenile Justice Clinic now, and I am in court almost once a week appearing on behalf of my clients under the supervision of an attorney, and I could not be happier. If you’d told me a year ago that I would be doing this, there is no way I would have believed you. 

On top of law school changing me, law school has changed this year as well. Of course, I’m still doing readings, memorizing rules, and going to class, but adding clinics and practicums into the mix has changed the law school experience. So many of my peers are working on actual cases with actual clients, writing motions to file with the court, and so much more. We’re still in class, but there’s an added component of law school where we get to do actual legal work even before graduating. This change may seem small, but it changes the entire landscape of law school and really puts everything in to perspective. 

Even though law school has changed my goals and career path, I’m still mostly the same person I was before law school. I still read romance novels in my free time, talk to my family as much as I possibly can, and am still focused on crossing things off my bucket list. Next year, I’ll be able to cross Going To A Taylor Swift Concert off the list, and I’m so excited.  

Even though it’s only been a year and a half since I started law school, it feels like it’s been a lifetime in the best way possible. I’ve learned more than I ever thought I could- about law of course, but also about myself. I’m so excited to continue my education, and I’m even more happy that I get to share it all with you.